Friday, June 8, 2012

Preparation

 Starting the blog with a fun time in Haiti!
 Melinda & I teaching the children the Macarena!












Since returning from Haiti, I've pretty much had a one track mind... Haiti. So the process is starting, after spending the last month or so researching organizations, I'm starting to get my name out. This upcoming week I will have my first phone contact with an organization and they will also speak with members of my church. This I suppose is where the organization "feels me out" and then, if they feel as though I fit, I will start the formal application process of becoming a long-term missionary! This process takes approximately 9 months for this particular organization. In the mean time I am continuing to research other organizations and if whether they may ne right for me. It's definitely a process. I equate it to researching job opportunities and applying. Many, many options but only God knows which option will be it. I'm excited for the possibilities and also nervous. There are many questions running through my head regarding organizations and how they go about serving. If you haven't already and have an interest in missions, whether they be local or international, short-term or long-term, I recommend reading When Helping Hurts by Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert. This book is required reading before going on a missions trip with newhope. I am actually rereading it right now to see if my perspectives have changed from travel to Kenya & Haiti with newhope. Again, if you are thinking about missions, this is definitely worth your time. Even if you're not into missions, this could change your perspective to helping those around you throughout your life. 

So, in my last post I discussed being still and taking it all in... Still attempting to do this. I am so lucky to be surrounded by such a great support team in North Carolina and have such a supportive family when it comes to pursuing life in Haiti. Many people asked what my parents reaction was to the news of me wanting to do missions in Haiti... It's kind of like when I was 18 years old and I got a tattoo... After waiting awhile to tell my dad, he just said "you've been talking about getting a tattoo, I figured you'd get one eventually". That was definitely not the reaction I was expecting but I was pleasantly surprised. Although, I think my mom & dad may be internally freaking out, they are supporting me 100%. 

After coming back from Haiti I was hoping to get there by the end of the year and I know, with God, 2012 is totally possible, but I'm ok if it takes a little longer to get there. God is continually preparing me for the journey and I am so thankful to see some of God's preparation coming full circle (I've mentioned these things in previous posts). Also, I know I keep coming back to this is pretty much every post but God's timing trumps my timing. I just continue to trust the God's plan is in the works and everything will happen when he wants it to... being patient is the hardest part. I know I just said this above but the one thing that makes it easier is knowing that God is using this time to prepare me.

...to be continued...

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment